Monday 14 December 2009

His dark materials

I'll put a few pictures of a store called United Nude, in Amsterdam, up on the site later this week - when I've been there. But meantime, been corresponding with the man who designed it - Rem Koolhaus, the person who designed the Prada store in New York and numerous other high-profile spaces.

This is what he calls a "dark store" - a place where everything is left unlit, apart from the stock. Koolhaus comments: "It's just one of a number of options that you have. Another good thing about the dark-shop concept is that it has a really high impact. You enter a world. It's the same reason that cinemas are dark."

He adds: "Without answering the question of what architecture is, I would just like to say that this shop is not really even interior design. to me, it's an installation or a machine. A very efficient machine."

Should make for an interesting visit I reckon. More Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment